ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

bagel boy diaries: installment #3

In the midst of prepping for a tv taping in my soon to be famous store, I decided it was time to refocus with coffee and a bagel. I looked like a bus hit me. I was past the point of actually giving damn, which I know is never a good thing when you are secretly lusting for the bagel boy with the blue green eyes and killer smile. I threw on some confidence and marched over to the bagel shop---sans nicotine, makeup, and apparently pride in my appearance.

I can tell from the moment I walk in, today is not a good day for anyone working there, including the bagel boy extrodanaire. No smiles from anyone. One of the gals that accompanied me for my daily breakfast routine chatted casually with me. We ordered and as I approached the counter to pay, bagel boy simply frowned at the employee fumbling behind him. He turned, obviously aggravated, and handed the kid a container. "Whatcha havin' today?,"he mumbled with a sigh. NO SMILE. Odd, I thought. "Where's my morning smile?," I asked politely. "Something must be wrong when you're not smiling." He said tough morning....period.
"Don't you know I need a smile from the bagel guy before I can start my day with a smile too?"

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner! He looked up, sort a laughed and flashed me a big genuine smile. Is that so? Sure it is, I say. I grab my cup of coffee and say now that's better. I smile at him and he smiles again with more enthusiasm. Have a nice day and he offers me the same. At this point, I am positive my damned heart must be beating out of my chest and perspiration is soaking my clothing. Where the hell did that courage come from? I am impressed with myself and, as I leave, smiling like an idiot. WOW.

Needless to say, I was beyond words and simply smitten with my encounter all day. I need to get out more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Mandy!!

You go girl... or should that be you virago you!?!

See, every day I receive a "word of the day" from Dictionary.com today's word was virago which apparently means...

"an ill-tempered, overbearing woman; also, a woman of great strength and courage."

Don't know about the ill-tempered, overbearing bit but the rest suited your story well.

Ryan

3:35 AM  
Blogger mandy said...

I am flattered. The bagel boy mystifies and intrigues me daily.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home