ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I heart Rocco

One look at my hips and you know I am no stranger to good food. Since my move to super healthy California I have adopted many new tastes, mainly more fruits, veggies, and anything packed with fiber (the stuff that keeps your intestines happy, makes you feel fuller longer, and yes, makes you poop.) As such, I have lost weight. The bad thing is when you're used to literally slobering at the thought of ooey, gooey pizza and cheeseburgers, no matter what how you try, low fat versions just never really stack up.

Today I stand corrected.

I read Runner's World on occassion. I fancy someday when my ass isn't as big I might actually run a race or marathon. Anyhow, they always have low fat recipes and tips for better eating, building muscle, etc. I saw a recipe in the April issue for fettucine alfredo. It sounded good, but it can sound good and taste like crap.

I decided it didn't hurt to try and bought the stuff to make it. I figured I'd add some broccoli to up the "fill up" content and make garlic bread out of 100% whole wheat bread. The results, my friends, was beyond words.

Whomever said it was impossible to healthy food that tastes good NEVER tried this. I DARE you to try this and not want to slap your mama. No, seriously.

Rocco Dispirito's Fettucine Alfredo
-8 ounces whole wheat fettucine
-1 tablespoon butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-A pinch of ground nutmeg
-3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
-3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
-3/4 cup 5% greek yogurt (I used 2%. It was all I could find)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettucine; cook according to package directions. While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch and nutmeg in a small bowl; whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Pour into saute pan, raise the heat, and bring sauce to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until melted. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in yogurt until smooth. Toss fettucine with Alfredo sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Top pasta with remaining cheese. Serves four.

Calories per serving: 336 calories; 47G carbs;18G protein; 10G fat.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Sloane Leigh said...

Sounds delish, cant wait to try.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home