ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I never win

That's right. Never. I went into the grocery store last night. No hair. No makeup. Didn't care. Lo and behold grocery boy appears. We begin polite conversation. Still cute. Still sort of charming. Nice guy. He makes me laugh. I make him laugh. Intelligent conversation and witty banter. I'm thinking I'd like to get to know this guy better.

That's when I break the rules. I give him my business card with my phone # and say we should get to know each other better over coffee sometime. He drops the bombshell: I'm seeing someone. Sort of not surprised but definitely disheartened. I bounce back with a smile and say, "It's totally not like that. Just thought maybe you'd like to talk outside of stalking me in the store." His face is red. I think I might have actually embarrassed him. I check out and head home. Pretty positive this guy is never going to call or ever look my way again. Best to start grocery shopping somewhere else.

But he texts me saying thanks and he enjoys the conversation. I'm interesting he says and smart. He calls later and we talk for a little bit. Still funny. Still smart and really charming. I am totally ok meeting a nice guy to have a beer with and just chill. Lord knows I'm still pretty sketchy in the relationship department. Women can be such drama and I miss my carefree days when hanging out with friends were just guys who made me laugh and didn't care about my hair, makeup, or lack of girly attributes other than physical assets. (no offense: I just grew up with boys and was mostly raised by my dad. I sorta think like a man instead of a girl 95% of the time.) I tell him hey look if the girlfriend is going to be weird about you having a friend who happens to be a girl, I'm totally fine. He says it's not an issue. He's absolutely allowed to have friends who are girls and like to drink beer and watch sports. (Women tend to think these kind of girls don't exist and if they do they are either unsophisticated, ugly, and likely lesbian, which I happen to be none of.)

I say ok. He's off next weekend and would I like to get coffee after all......to which I reply......yes.
Enjoy the moment....right?

4 Comments:

Blogger Propoquerian said...

hmmm im interested to see how this turns out...i am honestly surprised he called you! not because you aren't funny or cute, because you are! but just because...it's sorta implyed: guy meets girl, gets her number calls her--he's interested as more than a friend. i think his attention may be wandering from the girlfriend...

11:01 PM  
Blogger mandy said...

I know! More details to follow in the coming days I'm sure:)

7:06 PM  
Blogger pup said...

deff enjoy the moment!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Random Cyclist said...

Just remember that most if not all of the women that I ever dated approached me first. Keep up the spirit, you write well.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home