ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Monday, March 08, 2010

deep reflections

I heard a song today when I was getting ready to go out this morning called "Consume Me," by a Christian band named DC talk. The guy is singing about feeling consumed by God like a fire burning thru my veins anytime, any place you invade my space. I stopped while putting on my mascara and just listened. I mean to stop mid-mascara is pretty darn important people.

It took me awhile to really digest those lyrics. You consume me like a flame burning thru my veins. I'm a music enthusiast of many different genres. I have been exploring more Christian music lately and I've noticed something about it in general. Their lyrics are so powerful. Not like others I've ever experienced either....I mean what they sing about truly burns from inside their hearts in a way I've never seen replicated in other musicians. I can hear a song and really connect with it weather it's a sugary sweet pop jingle or a guitar and drum laced rock anthem. Music will not make me cry unless I hear an symphonic piece. I just think a symphony is magical and beautiful in a way that is beyond comprehension to my soul. The same with art...I know, I'm a artsy nerd girl. I appreciate beauty in all its artistic forms people. I didn't grow up in a cave for the love of God. As I was saying, contemporary christian music can and has made me cry though (I'd like to say one glistening tear but that would be a bald face lie). I can't explain it. I've never necessarily been one to jam out to Christian songs, but again, lately....it's really resonating something within me that I don't even know that I recognize or acknowledge.

A question to the void....if anyone is reading: any similar experiences or am I looking at a trip to the pschiatrist?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

Mandy,
I know I am a complete stranger to you and I stumbled across your blog simply by chance. I don't know how/where you stand with God--so I may be preaching to the choir. :) However, God may be nudging you to seek him out! He can and does speak through the words of these artists. Open up and read the Bible and I think you will find that it will speak to you too! A good place to start is with the book of John. (In the New Testament.) If you're new to reading the Bible, just begin reading it, just like you would any other book. There you'll find the reason why the lyrics to Christian songs are so powerful--his name is Jesus Christ.

And just so you'll know...this is HIGHLY unusual for me to post something to a complete stranger!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home