ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Divinyls



I was screwing around on iTunes looking for, dare I say it....90s hits. That's right. I love the 90s. It was the soundtrack to my middle school and high school years and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cheesy music from that decade.

I happened to stumble across the single "I touch myself" by The Divinyls. I'm not sure that anyone even remembers who the hell this group was besides me! Anyhoo, I digress. On my 18th birthday, I graduated from high school. My then BFF and a few friends went to our first night club and danced the night away in one of those themed clubs that was 5 in 1. I know you remember the ones that had dance in one room, country in another, salsa in the next, and so on. Stop acting like you don't know what the hell I'm talking about all you old farts! One of the rooms was a karoake one (of course). My friends and I sauntered in and sat down. A rather large woman got on the stage. The spotlight hit and this song began to play. She was easily 300+ lbs. We sat and watched her sing her heart out as she, literally, touched herself and moaned loudly in the microphone. I don't know whether it was the image of her gyrating and moaning in public that made us all uncomfortable but that's exactly what we were. We gave each other funny looks like retarded 18 year old kids do. Choking on our own breath we walked out and burst into laughter. I laughed until my cheeks and stomach hurt. (BTW...WTF with that album cover?!)

It was a great birthday full of laughter and fun. Certainly one I never forgot. I can't hear this song without thinking about a few things:
-that woman was braver than I will ever be. I should note I actually wore a spaghetti strap mini dress with a lacy overlay. Oh yes I did and I had these funky chunky heels to match. How freaking brave would I be to wear that AGAIN?
-I never want to sing and gyrate in public to ANY song let alone "I touch myself."
-I love the 90s: the good, the bad, the ugly.

And the countdown to 29 begins folks...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kas said...

I Love the 90s!! Thats what I usually listen to on the satellite radio and stream at work!! my other choice is the 80s. Then Alternative. Eclectic, I know...

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home