ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

How dare you challenge me!

I am a competitive person by nature. My brothers were competitive sportsmen and I was the competitive academic overacheiver. I hate being less than what I know I can do and I want everyone to know that the potential I have is no joke. I really try to deliver on my promises and push myself and others to be their best. One thing I can't stand is being number 2 (first loser) and the other is being challenged by anyone. Tell me I can't do it, or threaten my competitive nature and you are destined to go down.

Oddly enough, my company has decided to expand the business by adding another division. Saturday afternoon, my co-manager and I were informed that we were considered as as test market store. Considering where our business started and where we have taken it thus far, I must say I was absolutely flattered and stoked. A little birdie told me, another lesser store was trying to compete for the same bid. No offense, but my businesss does well over a quarter of a million more than you. I have the highest volume in the district and one of the top in the company. While I admire your ambition, the challenge has spurred me. I will get that new division damn it. I will not be shown up by someone else who clearly has had a reputation for kissing ass. I work hard and I have an amazing staff. I will get that division and even if you never ever see this...game is on. So, you better be ready...this could get ugly (fair but ugly).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a competitive person do you find it difficult to maintain friendships?

It's just that I too was super competitive in sports (like your brothers) and my drive to excel left a lot of friends behind.

Success truly is a lonely road.

But I kept pushing and I suppose having been a shy kid I was already on the lonely road! Some motivational quotes that kept me going (I suppose you have some too) were:

"A quitter never wins and a winner never quits."

And...

"It's hard to beat someone when they never give up."

4:32 AM  
Blogger mandy said...

It can be hard to keep friends because most people don't feel the passion you do. They think it's silly or something.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home