ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Not just another day

It shouldn't be different. Today shouldn't be any different for me. I should go about my business with cheer. I should not have to blink back tears when I see others clearly revelling in Mother's Day joy. I should be happy that some 13 years later I am better off not having contact with my mother. She is not good for me as she has proven time and again. She is not good for me. I know this.

But the fact of the matter is that today is different for me. It is the 13th year I have spent without my mother who lives 4 hours away. I always think it will be easier to pass this day up.....you know, like that saying, time heals all things. I always think I will feel satisfaction knowing I can't be hurt by her anymore. I think I will secretly celebrate my ability to move on.

That's what I always think. And then today comes. I realize I wish my mother gave a damn. I realize she hasn't changed and never will. We will never shop together or share secrets like others. We will never be able to even sit in a room without the tension killing innocent bystanders. I feel foolish. I feel freaking idiotic for wasting a thought on it. I feel cheated in spite of all the things I have learned and gained from this life changing experience with her.

Mother's Day is always hard for me. It's the one day I realize no matter what I have done to shield my self, I can't get away from her or what she should mean and all that she has never been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home