ramblings

life seen thru the eyes of a neurotic 20 something gal in search of something, nothing, and everything....but not all at once...I think.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Are we there yet...the thoughts of a tired Houston evacuee

Monday afternoon---I have to admit, when they said a hurricane was headed towards my adoptive home town of Houston, I wasn't the least bit intrigued let alone scared. This city has weathered many a storm and survived.
Tuesday night--As the hurricane becomes a monster in a matter of hours overnight...panic begins to worm its way into my stomach. Still, I am optimistic.
Wednesday morning----fear is now here. Houston is evacuating and my company has ordered me to close my store and leave. I begin the process of securing my store and getting my staff out and safe. It is now hard to remain calm and stay in control of my overwhelming emotions.
Wednesday night--I enjoy a rather eventless dinner with my roommate as we dicuss work and getting our apartment boarded and safe. I am rather concerned about leaving the city. With reports filtering in on the news, it is quite clear I will have to make a decision on whether to stay or go in a matter of 2 hours.
Later on that night---take the necessities: clothes, shoes, and alcohol.
11:30 pm Wed. night-- I have loaded everything I feel is imortant to me and locked the door to my apartment. I fight back the tears. I get in the car and try to remember leaving is the best thing to do.
The journey begins. Smooth sailing down I 59. This won't be so bad. Over the top of the highway I can see red. I realize they are the taillights of hundreds of cars sitting in gridlock. This is going to be fun.
4 am Thursday morning-- Under normal circumstances, we would have been out of the city by 12:30 am. Not the case my friend. We have finally gotten to the outskirts of this city. My friend and I are tired. The road is a parking lot. Stress is high and tempers flare at the drop of a hat. We have seen fights on the shoulders of the highway and fender benders involving lines of cars with weary drivers at the wheel. The gas stations have become small cities with up to 50 cars "sardined" in the parking lot in an attempt to refuel. The lines on the off ramps leading up to these stations stretches for miles. Will we ever get there?
7 am Thursday morning-- We have pulled over at a rest stop to relieve ourselves and my friend's pets. I stretch and stare at the sunrise. Beautiful. If I didn't know better, I 'd say it would be a perfect day for the beach.
10 am Thursday morning--We have arrived at our destination (san antonio). Our first stop: Mexican food and HUGE margaritas. After 11 hours on the road I could give a damn if they think I am a freakin' lush. Second stop: my friend's house to shower and sleep. The remainder of this day is spent re-uniting with my father and brothers and getting some much needed rest.
Today(Friday)--I have sat glued to the television watching the rest of my fellow Houstonians attempt to flee our beloved city. Sadness has overwhelmed me at the thought of coming back to nothing. All I want is for the storm to hit and be over with so we can clean up and rebuild. More thoughts as Rita continues her destructive path towards Houston and the entire state of Louisiana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home